When looking to design your dream living room, there are a couple key items that you should never be without. Since your living room functions as the hub of nearly all activity in your home, it’s important to create a space that is both comfortable, but functional. To ensure that you have all the essentials, here are 6 pieces of living room furniture that you should definitely invest in.
The 6 Essential Living Room Furniture Pieces
- The Sofa. No living room would be complete without a sofa to relax upon after a long day. For this reason it is important to invest in a sofa that is not only comfortable, but functional. You don’t want a clunky couch that sticks out and prevents easy access, but you also don’t want a sofa that is too small to comfortably lounge on. You also will want to factor in your color scheme, and overall design. With this in mind you should be able to find the perfect couch for your living room.
- The Entertainment Center. Another essential piece of living room furniture is the entertainment center. With a comfortable couch in place, you want to sit back and enjoy your favorite shows in style. This should function as a centerpiece to your entire set up; however, bulky entertainment centers aren’t ideal for smaller spaces. Make sure to take into account the placement, and how much room you have to work with before purchasing this piece.
- The Coffee Table. The coffee table is the place to sit popcorn, drinks, snacks, and potential reading material. It needs to be big enough to set your things without looking cluttered, but slim enough to prevent hindrance to movement. The coffee table you invest in will depend not only on space, but what your family needs. Sturdy tables are good for those with kids, while glass top options may not be ideal for little ones. Keep all of this in mind when you head to the furniture store.
- Storage. Storage is important, especially if you want to keep the things you seldom use out of the way without cluttering the area. This can be used for movies, books, children’s toys, or anything else that you may need, but wish to keep out of the way. There are many creative options for storage, from cabinets and chests to cubes and storage benches.
- The Loveseat or Armchair. Because the living room is the hub for most home activities, it’s important to have more than just the couch as a seating option. A loveseat and/or an armchair gives options and is perfect for those who frequently have guests. This not only makes the room more comfortable, but it helps to pull the room together and make it seem more inviting overall.
- A Rug. A rug can help add a pop of warmth and color. It can also help break up the monotony of a single color floor. A rug can also be helpful to those who have children and wish to give them a softer place to play; especially if the floors are hardwood or tile. Overall a rug adds an extra element of comfort and can be found in thousands of styles to suit your chosen design scheme.
Keep In Mind
When shopping for living room furniture it’s important to keep in mind how much room you have, what functionality you require, and what your family and guest situation is. Those with children will want to invest in more durable and easy to clean pieces, and those with limited space will want to place more emphasis on creative storage and arrangements.
Regardless of your unique situation you may be able to find full living room sets that can knock many of these essentials out all at once. This is especially nice because it can save you from trying to mix and match separate pieces. Don’t hesitate to shop around until you find the perfect pieces for you!